 Castle / 1167
Re: Carved Lion Head Block?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 15:12:01 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Doyle G. Nelson writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
Doyle wrote:
In lugnet.castle, Timothy Carl Buchheim writes:
I like the tan.  It's not unusual to use a different type of stone for
decorative elements of a building.  I've seen this done on a lot of
Greek temples, for example.  Such as the sandstone Ionic frieze found on
a Doric temple whose name and location escapes me at the moment, or the
limestone decoration on the Erechtheion in Athens, which is otherwise
made entirely from marble.

Your talking about asian architecture I am building in 13th century
european architecture. Looking at the castle not many have tan carved
images. :)

Greece is in Asia?

I always thought there was something wacky about my "Western Philosophy"
class (aka Dead White Guys 101) but I never imagined that was it!

I was speaking about the old world, Not asian exactly but Mediterranean area
near asia, as crusaders might call it. Point is you don't find many European
Castle in the medieval period that used tan, yellow etc carvings on their
castles. Mainly they were made with indigenous stone. :)

Doyle

Well, I'd comment, but Tony's already said what I would've said (snipped from
another recent castle post):

No. Having visited a *substantial* number of castles here in England, and in
Wales, I can see nothing wrong with the contrasting colour. If you think of it
as sand instead of tan, it's the right colour for sandstone.

Sandstone is a nice soft rock which is easy to carve. So the high status
details, like doorways and decorative corbels, are often fashioned from this
sort of stone, while the bulk of the walls are made from rougher stones which
happen to be available locally.

Actually, as most castles were whitewashed, most castle elements should be
white :-)

I agree that it would be nice to have them in grey AND tan... as a matter of
fact I think I'd PREFER grey, but I don't object to the tan... I don't think it
was a bad decision on TLC's part, just not my ultimate desire...

DaveE