 Castle / 11465
Re: CITY OF BRAHNSTURT PICTURES
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 05:30:33 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Kerry Raymond writes:
Just thought I'd share some pics of my latest MOC...6 months in the
making..... a huge medieval city and castle.... it takes up a massive 7 x • 5
(32 stud) baseplates in size...!!!

Kev, what can anyone say but "Wow"!

The problem with this .castle group is that there are too many fantastic
people doing fantastic things. I think we need a .castle.mere-mortals group
for the rest of us!

Kerry

Hear Hear!  I second that :)
Then I could have a place to show off my grand creation!  A general store!

No, it's not that big (2 stories and about 12 x 16 studs or so?), and no,
there's no city surrounding it... and there isn't much scenery around it
either, as I don't have that many trees I'm willing to give up to surround
the store :)  But alas, it is at home, and I am here, so I can't show it
anyway :)

That is a lovely city though I must say...

Time for "the list"

I really like the fountain (the water effect gives a very nice touch, I
think it's done well.  It looks like it was probably actually pretty simple
to do, at least compared to some of the other edits, but looks just right!)
The double door gatehouse, good idea, I'll have to keep that in mind when I
finally get that far on my own creations :)
The grey recessed arches in the castle are great too, do you have closer
pictures of those?  The best I could see is way in the background of the
town square/Town Hall picture (Brahn06).
The narrow alley and stairs are nice too, thats something I was planning on
trying at some point, but I just started building, so it'll be some time :)
And the big chimney on the back of the castle, thats a nice detail!
Ooh, I was halfway through writing the next section when I saw the sloped
battlements on the back of the castle, I like that as well, gives a real
look of bulk and power!

And for the "constructive criticism" part (gotta throw 2 cents in, eh?).
2 things on the top of the castle struck me as looking "not quite right".
The Lion head bricks for one, most likely because the Tan doesn't mesh well
with the black/white scheme in my eyes.  That's just a personal taste thing
though.  The other thing is the flag spire on the top of the black tower.  I
think the black tower looks GREAT there, but the little peak stuck over on
the corner just struck me as "off".  Maybe a stand in the middle of the
tower, one that doesn't have a large base, but still "blooms" out at the top
like that?  Just a suggestion, don't know if it would look better or not :)
I do like the sloped up baseplates outside the city, another idea I'll have
to remember, as I've been fretting about slopes and such (though it still
leaves more delimas for me).  Now, I'm sure it's kept pretty clear there for
"city security", but maybe something to spruce it up outside?  A small stand
of trees, or some wildflowers?  The way LEGO baseplates are, it looks like
someone took care to mow the field surrounding the castle, in stripes (like
many people do their front yard!)
And last, probably a brick constraint here as it looks like you did some,
maybe spruce up the side of the walls some, either with vines or some such.
It looks like you did in the very center of Brahn01 (between the gatehouse
and the black guard tower).  I think that little bit adds to the flavor, and
more of it would look great!

Anyway, I think I'll have to keep going back (not that I haven't been to
your site many times over the past 6 months, eagerly awaiting something new,
which you have certainly added this time!)  I've even dreamed about "The
Villiage" section, as I'm rabbid to see the "Tips and Techniques" section, I
have so many questions!

Now here's 2 questions for you...

1) Do you have everything put together at once, or did you have to dismantle
stuff to complete the city?
2) Will we get to see interior shots of the city and (especially) the castle?

plucky