 Castle / 11467
Re: CITY OF BRAHNSTURT PICTURES
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 06:03:13 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Brett Kingery writes:
Hear Hear!  I second that :)
Then I could have a place to show off my grand creation!  A general store!

No, it's not that big (2 stories and about 12 x 16 studs or so?), and no,
there's no city surrounding it... and there isn't much scenery around it
either, as I don't have that many trees I'm willing to give up to surround
the store :)  But alas, it is at home, and I am here, so I can't show it
anyway :)

I'm sure your creations are great.. remember its quality not quantity... all
those little bits and pieces give character...!!!

That is a lovely city though I must say...

Thanx..:  )

Time for "the list"

I really like the fountain (the water effect gives a very nice touch, I
think it's done well.  It looks like it was probably actually pretty simple
to do, at least compared to some of the other edits, but looks just right!)

It is just a little bit of airbrushing in Photoshop, and screening it back...!!

The double door gatehouse, good idea, I'll have to keep that in mind when I
finally get that far on my own creations :)

Alot of Castles did actually have doors rather than a drawbridge....

The grey recessed arches in the castle are great too, do you have closer
pictures of those?  The best I could see is way in the background of the
town square/Town Hall picture (Brahn06).

Are you talking about the windows on the castle.. the grey ones?
Well the Castle walls are all 2 studs thick.... so I could get that type of
effect.

The narrow alley and stairs are nice too, thats something I was planning on
trying at some point, but I just started building, so it'll be some time :)

If you look at alot of medieval towns, they are very cluttered and are
poorly designed.. more like, theres a space, lets build something to
fit..!!! so tiny alley ways were built between buildings.... this is the
feeling I wanted in my city

And the big chimney on the back of the castle, thats a nice detail!

This is actually to hide the fact that that side of the castle opens up, you
can see the hinges.. they're grey...!!! I havent furnished the interior yet,
but will soon....

Ooh, I was halfway through writing the next section when I saw the sloped
battlements on the back of the castle, I like that as well, gives a real
look of bulk and power!

Well actually the castle is very bulky.. it's going to take longer to pull
apart than it took to build.. ha ha ha

And for the "constructive criticism" part (gotta throw 2 cents in, eh?).
2 things on the top of the castle struck me as looking "not quite right".
The Lion head bricks for one, most likely because the Tan doesn't mesh well
with the black/white scheme in my eyes.  That's just a personal taste thing
though.

alot of Castles had decrative items on the roof tops, this is all I had
left.. ha ha ha

The other thing is the flag spire on the top of the black tower.  I
think the black tower looks GREAT there, but the little peak stuck over on
the corner just struck me as "off".  Maybe a stand in the middle of the
tower, one that doesn't have a large base, but still "blooms" out at the top
like that?  Just a suggestion, don't know if it would look better or not :)

OK.. I'll post a closer pic of the tower soon.... what it is is how most
towers were built, with a stair well making it's way up to a corner of the
tower to give access to the top. If you can have a look at the castle tower
from the castle in Disney's Beauty and The Beast, you'll see what I mean.

I do like the sloped up baseplates outside the city, another idea I'll have
to remember, as I've been fretting about slopes and such (though it still
leaves more delimas for me).  Now, I'm sure it's kept pretty clear there for
"city security", but maybe something to spruce it up outside?  A small stand
of trees, or some wildflowers?  The way LEGO baseplates are, it looks like
someone took care to mow the field surrounding the castle, in stripes (like
many people do their front yard!)

Unfortunately, I have no flowers left... and am limited in follage.... but
once again.... most castle grounds around the caste were depleted of all but
grass....

And last, probably a brick constraint here as it looks like you did some,
maybe spruce up the side of the walls some, either with vines or some such.
It looks like you did in the very center of Brahn01 (between the gatehouse
and the black guard tower).  I think that little bit adds to the flavor, and
more of it would look great!

Once again... I am limited with follage.... and most castles.. in there
prime were kept maintained as not to leave anything an invading army could
climb up...:  )

Anyway, I think I'll have to keep going back (not that I haven't been to
your site many times over the past 6 months, eagerly awaiting something new,
which you have certainly added this time!)  I've even dreamed about "The
Villiage" section, as I'm rabbid to see the "Tips and Techniques" section, I
have so many questions!

Well your wait will be over hopefully next week... that new section is
complete.. just finishing off production of Chapter 2...!!!

Now here's 2 questions for you...

1) Do you have everything put together at once, or did you have to dismantle
stuff to complete the city?

If I had that much lego, I'd leave everything built, but no.. I dont.. so to
answer your question, I pull everything apart to build new things.. but take
lots of photos first.

2) Will we get to see interior shots of the city and (especially) the castle?

The answer is yes.... I have built the city in sections.... so I can pull it
apart to take photos.. and the castle breaks in two.. for access inside....
also... I've designed it that a minifig can go in the doors at the bottom,
and physically get to the top of the castle with internal stairs...!!!

plucky

Once again.. thanx for your comments.... and I'll get some more detailed pix
up soon...

Kev..:  )