 Castle / 1042
Re: 2000 castle sucks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 15:20:24 GMT

Jeff Johnston wrote:

Jonathan Wilson wrote:

From what I know of it 2000 castle sucks overall.
It has several poops like that arch piece. The new castle tower pieces
are also crap. Castle has become juniorised.

Duh, I even forgot to reply to the main thrust of this message.

Anyway, IMHO, 2000 castle does *not* suck.  Both of the Bulls/Cowpack sets
I've picked up (Catapult Crusher and Axe Cart) have been pretty nifty, and
the Guarded Treasury looks like it's going to be good (haven't assembled it
yet.)  Heck, the only thing wrong with the Royal Joust was the price, and
sales will fix that.

After building the castle last night, I have to say I kind of like it.
It definitely needs work, but it is a good starting point. The new door
arch is juniorized, but I suspect we will all manage to make good use of
it. It doesn't look bad, it just for the most part could have been made
out of smaller pieces. It's also a much more substantial structure than
5986 Amazon Ancient Ruins which uses the same base plate (and a better
price per piece ratio, 17 cents vs 17.67 cents).

The new castle tower sections are fairly nice. It's a real shame they
have a window though. Without a window, they would be real nice, how
many parts have a 1x1 stud 45 degree angle? I also just realized that
the CPP (crummy pit plate) has one advantage over a CRAPP. It doesn't
have a ramp built in, this means it will be easier to combine several of
them to make a larger castle.

I have to say that I like the new use of the Cyber Slam launcher. It
actually makes a pretty good looking bombard type cannon. I wish it was
available in a smaller set. It would be nice to arm my pirate bases with
them.

I also LIKE the tapestry. This has 3 holes on the top, and 3 on the
bottom. It will work REAL nice as a sail for a ship. Yay! Castle has
hope for another ship (don't be too surprised if we see this fabric
piece return in a ship).

I will be buying more of this set, especially when I can get it on a
K-Mart buy one, get a 2nd for 50% off sale.

The instructions have a nice feature I'm not sure if anyone has
mentioned. Along with the alternate sets, there are comic panels which
tie the alternates into a simple story line. Cool! The way this is done
I think will encourage kids to make up stories, and build alternate
models. This continues a trend that seems to have started with the Star
Wars sets, of surreptitiously returning to the ideals of old. Juniorized
parts are included to hit price points. The new Town Junior is mainly a
way to target younger kids, and provide the vehicles that they want
(Mike Walsh has mentioned many times that his 4 year old son is
primarily interested in vehicles). The larger pieces allow TLC to hit
the price vs size of finished model that is probably needed in todays
toy market. People don't want to spend $30 for an intricate model that
fits in the palm of your hand.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com