 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2773
Re: Inverse matrix?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2007 23:19:58 GMT

Does anyone know how to generate an inverse matrix.  By inverse I
mean it will
undo the rotation of the original matrix.  I thought the inverse of
<1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0> was <-1,0,0,0,-1,0,0,0,-1,0,0,0>.  In
other words,
multiply every value by -1.

I know POV-Ray 3.6 has an inverse matrix function but it doesn't
work in 3.1,
which is what I'm using.

The inverse of <1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0> is itself.

To compute the inverse of a general 3x3 matrix (essentially what
you need to do)
is rather complicated. You could do it in a macro using Gaussian
elimination

Arg.  I thought this was going to be easy.  I liked this part of the
wikipedia article:

"In practice, inverting a matrix is rarely required. Most of the
time, one is really after the solution of a particular system of
linear equations."

Hm.  I wonder which one I am after!

Maybe you guys can help.  Here is what I'm doing.  I'm using 3 points
in LDraw to represent a location, a lookat, and an up.  If you are
familiar with POV-Ray's camera setup, this will make perfect sense.
And it works perfectly for camera.  However, I also want to use it
for models.  [I know I could just rotate the LDraw model to the
desired rotation, but I'm using these points as keyframes.]  To do
the models I'm converting the points to a matrix using this code:

#macro rotation_matrix_for_loc_lookat_up(vectorLoc, vectorLookat,
vectorUp)
#local vectorD1=vnormalize(vectorLoc-vectorLookat); // direction of
view
#local vectorR1=vnormalize(vcross(vectorUp-vectorLoc,vectorD1)); //
to the right
#local vectorU1=vnormalize(vcross(vectorD1,vectorR1)); // up
array[12] {
vectorR1.x, vectorR1.y, vectorR1.z,
vectorU1.x, vectorU1.y, vectorU1.z,
vectorD1.x, vectorD1.y, vectorD1.z,
vectorLoc.x, vectorLoc.y, vectorLoc.z
}
#end

This way I have a matrix that will rotate any object using a lookat
and up.

However, I'm trying to use these points to construct a walking motion
so I have at least 3 points for a model all in world coordinates.  To
figure out the rotations of the model's legs I need to convert these
to the model's local coordinates.  To move the points to local model
coordinates I just have to subtract the model location from all the
points.  But now I have to undo the world rotation.  I'm stumped.
I've tried tons of stuff and I thought this wouldn't be so hard and
quite frankly this math is a bit over my head.

I'm sure I can do this using "a particular system of linear
equations", but I honestly don't know which.  I've tried many
different things but nothing gets me the results I need.

Does anyone have any ideas?

James