 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2233
Re: NEW ANIMATION
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 07:35:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Jason Tiller wrote:

  So what your saying is use "Wax" if your a new to animation like me?

Yes. This might sound a bit controversial, because a) Wax is new and unknown and
b) because it is really more of a video composer than a 3D program.

But my guess is that it will allow you to burn through the first stages in
computer animation (both 2D and 3D) pretty quickly, without hindering your
creativity too much. It's that simple and that powerful.

However, once you start to realize its limits, then you must move on. Mostly
because doing complex animations with it, although possible, is way too
uncomfortable. After all, it is a post-production tool rather than a production
tool.

Where to move from there is an open-ended question, specially if you want to do
Lego animation and not just general animation. You might want to see what other
Lego animators are doing by visiting www.brickfilsm.com. Most of the people
there do stop motion, but there are a few CGI gurus as well.

Also
about that program you are writing, I would like a to try it (When it hits the
streets). :-D

It' not a program, it's more like a bunch of POVray code which simplifies the
animation process. But you still have to tinker with the POVray code.

Here is an earlier version. The newer version will have a main "mapping" include
which will allow the user to dynamically "pose" the minifig and a bunch of other
includes with macros for walking, running, "acting", etc.

http://technicpuppy.miguelagullo.net/povray/mwalk/mwindex.html