 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2223
Re: NEW ANIMATION
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 19:54:54 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jason Tiller wrote:
Hi,

Here is a good starting point

http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/pov_anie.htm

  Hi,

  I went to the site above and found it confusing. I don't have time to learn
the code, so is there an easier way to do animation???

Hi

It depends what you are referring to.

If you are completely new to computer animation, IMHO your best shot is to
download Wax and have a bit of fun with it.

http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

You can even import Ldraw stuff via the .3DS format (probably LDR -> DXF -> 3DS)
and animate it. Look for the necessary format convertes in Ldraw.org.

Wax is a fairly new program with many unfunished edges yet, but it already is a
simple yet powerful tool for Win-based animators. It is also relatively easy to
learn how to use (and then not as easy to use, curiously). And it's free.

You can also test the animation capabilities of Leocad and/or LD4D, which are
Lego-oriented, but, in my opinion, harder for the newbie to learn from scratch.

****

If you're familiar with other 3d animation programs, you can try the route
specified above and import Ldraw data to your favourite applications. Be aware
that the lego parts look deceivingly simple but usually pack a quite large
amount of geometric data.

****

As for the POVray way, which is how some of us are putting together our
animations. Well, first of all, POVray is a code parser. If you don't have time
to use learn the code then you don't have time to use the program. I suspect
most of (the few of) us who do Ldraw-based POVray animation do so because of the
available conversion/misc. tools are numerous. But at the end of the day, if you
want to use POVray in animation, you have to learn the code.

However, there is one other way to skirt around the "code" issue for the time
being. Animation can occur in the LDRAW part of the data, instead of being
calculated by POVray. In that case, what you need is to create as many Ldraw
files of the movie as frames in it. Then render each file separately and finally
put together the .bmps (Wax can do this, BTW).

If that sounds like a lot of work, welcome on board. Animation IS a lot of work.

PS: If you want to learn the code and do minifig animation, I am currently
writing a POVray include that simplifies things a bit. Feel free to email me
about it, as there is a robust working version (soon to hit the streets).