 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2189
Re: HDRI and radiosity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:03:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Sven Reger wrote:
   Hi again, I’m still working on a good way to use hdri with MLCad pictures. And I found out that grey is a “bad” color. Pictures with grey models are always too dark. I can only fix this if I place additional light sources. I don’t know the reason yet but I think it has something to do with the color palette that is normally used in PovRay. I have replaced the colors with those that are used in the radiosity includes from digitalbricks.nl. And surprise...lights without any light source. But - no light without shadow. Normal grey now looks like chrome. Using other colors than grey in my model gives me the brilliance I want. Here are some examples for the things I found out yet:

LDRAW / LGEO colors, no lightsource:

LDRAW / LGEO colors, 1 additional lightsource:

colors from radiosity.inc (digitalbricks), no lightsource:

I’m still looking for a better way to render the train without using additional lights. But if I use the modified colors there are too many reflections and I found no parameter yet to reduce this to a more real stile. Anyone here who can help?

Sven,

The easiest way is to reduce the reflectivity of the colors. I have a file around here somewhere that Orion once sent me with lowered reflection (Jeroen’s colors, for the digitalbricks radiosity). However, if you’re looking to use only the HDRI and no radiosity, that won’t help you.

If the problem is that you think the train is too dark, try turning up the ambience on either it or the floor or the HDRI.

I really like that parrot render, by the way. If you could set the HDRI map to white and make everything else in the picture white, I would think it was a photo. Really good work!

-Mike