 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1110
Re: Wallpapers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 04:41:45 GMT

Hi Tim,
This is a great scene.  Thanks for taking the time to render it.  I really
enjoy rendered pictures of LEGO (be they of bricks or scenes) for my
desktop, but I haven't been seeing many new ones recently.  Because of that,
I've been playing around with a couple of simple wallpapers myself.
Coincidentally, two of my three are of gears also.  I did a couple of test
renders with transparent gears, but didn't feel like they were good enough
pictures to bother waiting for them to render at wallpaper-size.
I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.
I'd like to also make a suggestion for Ldraw.org.  Would it be possible to
set up a repository of wallpaper-quality images?  I really like a lot of the
images (scenes, especially) that are submitted for Sotm and Motm voting, but
I find that 800x600 just doesn't work as well for my wall-papering needs[1].
If the winners were able to submit larger versions of their entries for use
as wallpaper, that would be very nice.

-Joel

1.  Ok, wants.

In lugnet.cad.ray, Tim Courtney writes:
I just threw together this design for a LEGO wallpaper last night.  I know
its not the greatest thing in the world, but it was a quick one - inspired
by the memory of the (apparently) long lost BrickDreams renderings.  All I
really did was put light sources in the centers of the gears to make them
glow...

LMKWYT!  I might try playing with a few more designs, which will have more
thought in them and be somewhat better than these.

-Tim