 CAD / 7086
Re: Wallpapers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 12:18:49 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
news:qrdadvjc16g.fsf@tiamat.uio.no...
"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> writes:

Nice renderings!  I'd like to make a couple of comments: The edges of
the gears are not rounded, which is probably because you haven't used
the LGEO library?  Using LGEO gives better results, in my opinion.

Yeah, I know it gives better results.  I tried using it with the checkbox in
L3PAO, but for some reason it wouldn't generate the POV file if I did.  So I
skipped L2P for now and will look into why it isn't working later.

I have the library downloaded and followed the readme.  IIRC I think I've
even been successful with it in the past using L3P in DOS.  But the other
night I was going for a quicker solution so I didn't bother. :-)  I'll have
to look into it more.  Does anyone know any serious compatibility problems
with L3P?  I'm using the latest version...

Richard, what error did L3PAO give?  Mine just won't generate the file, the
L3P window flashes on and off (Win2k) and no file is generated.

There's also the geeky comment I'd like to make about the placement of
the gears.  You have a couple of triples of gears which grind in a
triangular fashion, i.e., the centres of the gears form a triangle.
In this setup, the gears are locked, and cannot move at all.  Try it
out for yourself with actual gears!  I think this placement gives a
very static look to the image, which is probably not what you want.

D'oh!  Can you tell I'm not that mechanical of a person? ;-)  I thought it
would be 'cool' to stick the gears like that, how silly of me.  In the
future, you might expect designs that can actually work if they were real
gears.... <sheepish grin>

For further work, how about using several layers of gears, much like
what can be seen in mechanical watch calibers?  (Which has become
another obsession of mine, I have to confess.)

Hmm...have any sketches, links to images, etc, for ideas?

-Tim