 CAD / MLCad / 1647
Re: MLCAD for Linux :D
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:35:26 GMT

Michael Lachmann wrote:

Hi,

this is nice to hear. Maybe you could write a more detailed description
what is needed to run MLCad on Linux?
This way I could make this information public in a seperate Linux section
on my host, and even more users are able to use MLCad.

OK quick rundown.

Required:
- Working Linux system with X11+windowmanager installed (I use KDE only, but
any windowmanager should work) Also check http://www.winehq.org for other
requirements wine itself has (gcc etc etc) I chose to work with the Wine
source instead of a binary for better compatibility and performance on my
system. YMMV ;)

Procedure
- Download the latest source release (full tar.gz file) of Wine from
http://www.winehq.org
- Unpack (using 'tar zvxg Wine-xxxxxxxx.tar.gx where xxxxx is the release
date), enter the Wine directory and after reading the INSTALL and README
files, do './configure | make | sudo make install' (Assuming you have sudo
installed and sudo rights. If not log in as root and do the make install,
rest can and should be done as user) I used the 20030408 release.

You should now have a C folder in your $HOME directory, with in it at least
"Program Files" and "Windows" as subfolders (looks familiar right? :D )

- Download the Linux version of the parts database from LDRAW.ORG
- Unzip the parts package and put it in /$HOME/c/Program Files/ldraw
- Download MLCAD
- Make an mlcad subdirectory in /$HOME/c/Program Files/ldraw
- Unzip MLCAD package to /$HOME/c/Program Files/ldraw/mlcad
- Now while in X11 open a console, go to /$HOME/c/Program Files/ldraw/mlcad
and start the program with 'wine mlcad.exe'

As a side note : I didn't get L3PAO to work so far, still trying to figure
out what exactly is the problem. Trackdesigner however is working flawless,
using the same Wine tactics as written above.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/
LEGO Santa Fe B-unit | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/lego/f7b.html