 CAD / MLCad / 151
Re: Sv: Changing the Rotational Axis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 22:17:13 GMT

Kya Morden wrote:
Alright, that's what I was talking about, rotating submodels.  Like
I've got a 3x4 hinge plat with some of those hexagonal pieces at the
end to make a door (think Message Intercept Base) and I want to set
the submodel's rotational axis along the "circle"/clip part of those
hinge plates.  I'll admit, I'm fairly new to MLCad, but I've got this
feeling there is a way to do this.

It's actually pretty simple, once you get the hang of using a couple of
tricks.

First of all, you want to *visually* define 0,0,0 in your submodel.  To this
end, insert a 3070.DAT (1x1 tile) located at 0,0,0; its top surface is
centered upon 0,0,0.  Place this part at the beginning of the submodel.
You'll delete it when you're done.

Secondly, move all the pieces of the submodel so that your proposed axis of
rotation lies on 0,0,0; i.e. on the 3070.DAT you placed in step one.

Cleanup: delete the 3070.DAT you inserted in setp one.

If you're not too comfortable with inserting an extra part, you can try other
placeholders.  My actual preference is a part called LIGHT.DAT, which is nice
because it consists of nothing but six lines representing the three axes.  I
forget where I got it from; I suspect Lutz Uhlman's L2P utility.

If this isn't totally clear, let me know; I might write up a tutorial this
weekend.

Cheers,
- jsproat

debug(this);