 CAD / MLCad / 149
Re: Sv: Changing the Rotational Axis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:58:34 GMT

"Mogens Sørensen" wrote:
This must be a problem directed to the partwriters, or what?. I have never
made a part, but I think parts must have a 0,0,0 which should be at a
logical rotationpoint. But if they place 0,0,0 more or less at random, you
have no way of knowing where the rotationpoint should be. This is just a
guess.

Be careful criticizing the parts authors when you don't know what you're
discussing.  They've put a helluva lot more thought into this than you have.

For example, at which logical rotation point should 0,0,0 be put?  A corner?
The centerline for a bar?  A stud?  An edge?  Which one?  Pick one from
random?

I actully prefer the current method of putting 0,0,0 on the top surface (note:
not "more or less at random".)  It is much more efficient for the majority of
LEditing -- stacking bricks on top of each other.

Parts that rotates and like, should be placed in different submodels at a
logical rotationpoint. Then the submodels is rotated correctly in MLcad.

Yes, this is currently the best solution for rotation of sub-parts, for any of
the Lego modelling software I've used.  It offers many advantages, including
arbitrary origin placement and easy re-use of sub-parts.

Cheers,
- jsproat

debug(this);