Re: Organizing the LDraw CD-ROM
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:23:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Don:
It would be really, really nice if this CD had a Hybrid filesystem readable
from all three Operating systems.

Isn't that what the ISO-(can't remember the number) file
system is for?

I was under the impression that the ISO-9660? filesystem was only 8.3 UPPERCASE
or something like that.  All the operating system vendors then added their
own extensions to get long filenames with mixed case.  Linux uses Rock Ridge.
Microsoft created Joliet to make things incompatible, and Apple did something
else.  The last time I had to make a CD with long filenames for multi OS use
(Windows and Solaris) I had to use a special piece of software (mkhybrid).
Perhaps things have changed since then?

Don