 CAD / Development / 3930
Re: Organizing the LDraw CD-ROM
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 18:34:55 GMT

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000 17:57:37 GMT, "Adam Ogle" <oglewood@lcs.net> wrote:

I can't be sure of this, but I might try a Visual Basic program that would
give the user a option of what programs to install and where.  That away, if
the user doesn't want all the stuff on the harddrive, he doesn't have to
install it.  Another thing is a Dat explorer that has all the models
submitted and you can view them.  I will work on it and give you a sample
application.

Wouldn't try that.  Too many people don't have VB runtimes installed,
and just throwing them on the CD doesn't work (unless you want to make
people install them first, which is a pain, but could work).  I tried
going this route when I was working on a CD for a local company -
needed an autorun menu-type thing.  Couldn't get it to work reliably
on all versions of 95/98/NT.

I ended up going with this program:

AutoPlay Menu Studio Pro
http://www.indigorose.com/autoplay/

which would probably be too expensive to invest in for a project like
this, although I suppose since I have it I could generate the menu
program for the CD.  But unless Tim could get things organized to the
point of me only needing to tap in the locations of a few random
executables on the CD, maybe some text on the menu screen, I can't
offer to do it - too busy.  Well, I can't offer to do it for free, and
Tim couldn't afford to pay me to do it.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?