Re: Storage and Display of OMR Files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:34:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney writes:
[...]
Good point.  But with the zip files we need adequate documentation telling
the user what directories to create to unzip it to.  Because it needs to
wind up in

sets/XXXXZ-YY/

to work the way we intend.

Nah, why go through all that work? -- just embed the directory name into the
zipfile.  I'm a bit rusty on pkzip (I use tar these days) but essentially:

   pkzip xxxxz-yy.zip sets\xxxxz-yy\*.*

which is analagous to

   tar -cvf xxxxz-yy.tar sets/xxxxz-yy
   gzip xxxxz-yy.tar

[...]
But will people add that?

No, they might not...so that's why it might be good to add it automatically
instead, presuming that they've agreed to place it under OPL.

And also, is that too much to have on a header
of each submodel?  Or would it be a comment in the mpd?  It looks good (and
I can see it was pasted from the OPL site), but it would make the model
files rather bulky.  I would say that it should go below the OMR header...

Probably doesn't really matter where it goes -- just so long as it appears
somewhere in each file, right?  Somewhere near the top is most traditional.
Under the other headers is probably fine?

Well, would it be possible to consider links back to the OMR once it
is up and running?

Oh, definitely...I think that would be very helpful to people.

I'll work on getting images ready for that once I get some other pages
buttoned down.

(Images?)

Another thing of much importance is the display of the model entries for
download on the OMR download page.  I have thought of different methods and
haven't come up with the best one yet.  We need to categorize it by theme
and subtheme.  Is it overdoing it to make directories and pages for each
theme and subtheme?  [...]

I don't it's overdoing it, but that's just me.  Heck, I'm planning for
there to be at least a couple hundred pages for subthemes on the LUGNET
when the sets DB is reshuffled around.  Initially there will only be
newsgroups in the lugnet.lego.* hierarchy for the "product programmes"
(i.e. DUPLO, PRIMO, LEGO SYSTEM, TECHNIC, etc.) and "systems" (i.e. Space,
Castle, Wild West, etc.), but there's always plenty of room for non-ng-based
"theme" sub-pages (i.e. Tech Play, Blacktron, Forestmen, DUPLO Zoo, etc.).
Someday might even be ng's for some of the themes, depending on interest.

--Todd