Re: Call for Nominations to LDraw.org Steering Committee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:16:42 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

As we get nearer to the election, I wanted to post my thoughts on what I
think the steering committee should look like.

We're electing the SC to lead the LDraw organization.  To codify it,
define what it really is, and how it works.  In the past we have all
worked in a somewhat random manner.  Decisions were "reached" when the
arguments about them stopped - often, taking weeks, or even months and
years.

With the powers we've given the SC, most decisions will be made by these
5 people.  And since it's a much smaller group, a busy discussion over a
weekend might yield a policy - and all that with little oversight from
the community.

This isn't a bad thing, that's how we can move forward.  I just want to
make sure everyone is aware of the trust we have to have in the SC
members - we're electing them to decide the future of this organization,
so we should make sure they steer us in the right direction.

And what's the right directions?  Glad you asked :)

In my opinion, the following goals are what we should be aiming for:

- Continue development of the LDraw library and file format
- Figure out the licensing issue, while keeping LDraw open-sourced
- Develop the actual organization
- Expand the reach and use of LDraw

And one thing we should try to avoid - reduce the amount of politics and
behind-the-scenes cabals that exist today.

So who do I think would do a good job at these goals?

- Tim Courtney
- Jacob Sparre Andersen
- Steve Bliss
- Chris Dee
- Tore Eriksson

I think this group would cover all of those goals I mentioned above
(with a special emphasis on the parts library, since I really do think
that's the core).  And a group with very little politics interest - why,
almost all of them didn't even post one of those "Mission statements" :)

So these are my thoughts - any comments and discussion would be welcome.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com