Subject:
Purposes of the Organization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:36:40 GMT

Its been a while since the organization meta-discussion that was contained within the LSC proposal threads. Since then, I’ve been working off-and-on on a bylaws draft that’s quite lengthy, and sending it to the ad-hoc organizing committee for review. One suggestion that came up was to first solidify the purposes of the organization, and then present the bylaws within that context. So, this is precisely what I am doing.

I have passed this Purposes of the Organization draft (which is actually a sub-point in the bylaws draft, which is not yet refined enough for posting) through the Ad-Hoc committee (4+1) and through the newly elected LSC. We’ve all agreed on the text and now I’m circulating it to the community at large to read and discuss.

More information and drafts will come as they are ready. Please feel free to reply with thoughts.

Tim Courtney
On behalf of the LDraw.org Ad-Hoc Organizing Committee

Purposes of the Organization
  1. maintain and distribute the core LDraw properties, the file format and parts library, as free and extendable resources for everyone’s benefit, in the spirit of James Jessiman; and
  2. charter the stewardship of file format standards to a group of individuals, so they can maintain and develop this community owned resource; and
  3. foster communication among people interested in virtual LEGO building, and
  4. promote the virtual LEGO hobby through online resources, events, media exposure, literature, etc; and
  5. support developers of new and innovative LDraw software; and
  6. represent the interests of the LDraw/virtual LEGO builders’ community to The LEGO Company, LEGO fan organizations, clubs, educators, organizers of special events, the CAD industry, and the like; and
  7. adapt and respond to other existing and potential future LEGO CAD formats, whether fan developed, existing CAD formats, or formats released by The LEGO Company.