Re: Downloadable Handbook?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 19:00:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney writes:
The PT and the PT reference pages are not my responsibility, but I have
suggested a few times that they be cross-linked with the general reference
pages.

My original plan for the re-organization of the site was that all reference
docs would go under /reference/. I think there should be at least sym-links
to something like /reference/tracker/ to make it more consistent with this
structure.

-Tim

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager writes:
hi folks,

a few days ago I had a discussion with Chris Dee about the two sections of • reference-pages on ldraw.org. to me it is not
comprehensible why the general reference page has a direct link at the • homepage, while the more useful specifications for
part-authors are hidden in http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ref/ ?

it would also be useful to bake the "Part Tracker Reference" into a doc- or • pdf-file and make it downloadable to get a sort of
offline-handbook

willy

Tim

In my view most of the material Willy is speaking of is not really "PT
reference" material. The standards for part numbering, authoring reference
material, pattern codes, etc are independent from the PT - and really "LDraw
part authoring reference". The PT is just the (current) application for
managing parts updates.

Can you identify where you would like this material to be placed, so we can
work on moving it? I'm not sure reference/tracker/ is the most appropriate for
most of this, although there is info which should go there.

I would prefer that Steve Bliss and I continue to have some involvement with
ensuring accuracy and consistency of this "parts authoring" reference material,
so we might need to look at permissions on the ldraw.org server.

If you have issues with the format of the existing pages, can we also discuss.

Chris