Re: Renaming of 2916.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:39:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Robert M. Rodinsky writes:
I would like to object on the strongest terms possible the "Modified part
description" of the part 2916.dat.

The flip side of this arguement is that while it's only use may not be just
for trains, the primary use is for trains.  By your argument all the parts
with the word Technic and Minifig in the title should be renamed as well.
The reason that they haven't is Train, Technic and Minifig are broad enough
groups such that they span multiple themes and their primary usage is as
descibed.

Train in my view is a very narrow group.

There are a very few parts that belong in it. I would refer you to the PNLTC
originated "diagram of train parts" that many train clubs use to discuss how
easy it is to actually get started in trains.

The only parts that belong in Train are the motor, its sideframes, the small
wheels (But not the tiny peg axle plate), the 9V and 12V wheel assemblies
and the coupler/buffer and bogie plates. I would not even put the 6x2X wagon
plates in train and I would not put the rounded corner windows and train
doors in train either. I would call them by their shape.

This is in my view not at all analogous to Technic or Minifig which are
broad and useful distinguishing characterizations.