Re: "All zeros" warning (Was: Parts Tracker Activity Page)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 02:31:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tore Eriksson writes:
WARNING "6260.dat" Line 7: Row 1 all zeros:
&  1 16 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 4-4edge.dat
Does this mean that we are forced to incorrectly turn 2D objects into
quasi-3D to make them pass the tests?

Hmm.  I interpret this like the lawyer's question, "Is that when you stopped
beating your wife?"  It's not really yes or no.

The totally accurate answer is: there are no 2D objects in LDraw.  The
polygons we model are just the 2D surfaces of 3D objects.  So by changing
the line, you are more accurately modeling the object in 3D space.

BUT, you don't have to pass this test to get parts into the library.  We've
got plenty of parts with this style of coding already.  If people (esp.
reviewers) are feeling otherwise, that's something we all need to discuss.

BUT, if you want to get rid of all L3P warnings, and if you want to make
BFC'able files, you need to change the code.

Steve