Re: "All zeros" warning (Was: Parts Tracker Activity Page)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 05:05:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tore Eriksson writes:
WARNING "6260.dat" Line 7: Row 1 all zeros:
&  1 16 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 4-4edge.dat
Does this mean that we are forced to incorrectly turn 2D objects into
quasi-3D to make them pass the tests?

Hmm.  I interpret this like the lawyer's question, "Is that when you stopped
beating your wife?"  It's not really yes or no.

The totally accurate answer is: there are no 2D objects in LDraw.  The
polygons we model are just the 2D surfaces of 3D objects.  So by changing
the line, you are more accurately modeling the object in 3D space.

BUT, you don't have to pass this test to get parts into the library.  We've
got plenty of parts with this style of coding already.  If people (esp.
reviewers) are feeling otherwise, that's something we all need to discuss.

BUT, if you want to get rid of all L3P warnings, and if you want to make
BFC'able files, you need to change the code.

Steve

Ok,
I'm the guilty party who posted such notes on the tracker. :) I still pass a
part with these errors. Some of my earler parts have these too. L3P issues
several "warnings" many are not required to correct to get passed.

What I am watching for when I vote are mostly for obvious errors such as
part numbering, misplaced or missing sufaces.
I try to watch for part orientation, usually other reviewers watch this better.
L3p is ran using a batch file which creates an error log for the part. It is
also set to check for noncoplanar(not flat) quad surfaces >0.10. This might
be too tight, but it is what I use as a standard for the parts I model.
(Except the first few...)

I also make notes on studs not being oriented correctly, not something I
"hold" parts over, unless they are inverted or mis-used. This really only
shows up on very small rendered models with full stud detail, so it's pretty
much a non-issue. I have the logo on my studs so I can check them easily.
This info is available on my "Utilities web page", near the bottom.
http://www.geocities.com/pneaster/lego_util.htm

Over and out... :-)

Paul