 CAD / Development / 9861
  LPub mask generation

I added mask generation for assembly images into LPub. It now can generate a specific mask for each assembly image. I plan on using this for the layout process, where you provide a backdrop image for a page, and LPub uses a mask to superimpose the (...) (20 years ago, 15-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty sure you can create a 32bpp BMP file. Normally, 8 bits in each pixel would then be ignored. However, I don't see any reason the data wouldn't be there for you to interpret yourself. --Travis Cobbs (20 years ago, 15-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) What about jpeg 2000? It seems to have some sort of support for alpha channels. Don (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) LPub is written in Delphi, if I'm not misremembering? Have you looked at (URL) can't say I understand all of the code at a quick glance, but it looks like all you have to do is setting the Alpha channel to a suitable value for every pixel, and (...) (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) Careful! A *Windows* color value uses the high bit to indicate that the rest is an index into the 'System Color Palette' and not a RGB value at all (In Delphi you have ColorToRGB() to get the RGB value from such a 'color'). I'm not at all sure (...) (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) LPub is written in Borland C++ Builder, which is the C++ version of Delphi. The programing language is different, but the libraries are the same. I'd like Alpha channel, instead of binary bitmap, because it might provide some help with (...) (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) I just upgraded to Borland C++ Builder 6, and there is a good PNG library for it. I'll use that and convert LPub over to use PNG (instead of BMP and JPG?). Alpha channel will be nice, allowing for semi-transparency. Kevin (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) If you're interested, LDView has two C++ classes that together allow you to write a PNG via libpng. They have the advantage of being much easier to use that libpng itself. Take a look in the LDView source at TCImage.{h,cpp} and (...) (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) This project seems pretty old, but you've set me on the right track. PNG provides compression like JPG and no loss of image quality like BMP. Plus POV-Ray supports alpha channel with PNG. These three combined set me off on the task of (...) (20 years ago, 17-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) Hi Travis, I've downloaded LDview, and gotten libpng and zlib built under C++ Builder. What classes do you have for reading and writing PNG files based on libpng. I'd like to give them a look. Thanks, Kevin (20 years ago, 20-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) Both classes are in the TCFoundation directory: TCImage and TCPngImageFormat. To use them directly, you'll also need TCObject and TCAutoreleasePool. However, the only thing they use out of there that I know of is my reference counting stuff, (...) (20 years ago, 20-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) Hi Anders, I have not been able to gain access to the source. Do you have any suggestions on how to do it? Thanks, Kevin (20 years ago, 20-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

I forgot a few things. First of all, you'll also need the TCImageFormat class. Second, in TCImage, you'll need to comment out the line that looks like so (unless you want to use my TCBmpImageFormat class): addImageFormat(new TCBmpImageFormat, true); (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) Do what? Get the source code, or use the png classes? At least for me, clicking on the link takes me to the sourceforge page for PNGImage, up left is a "Download" link which gets the .zip archive ((URL) I just downloaded it again, to make (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) I was looking too hard in the wrong place. I've got access to it now. I've installed the component, but I think I have to write a header file for it, so that I can use it under C++ builder. It looks very nice to use. I'm really looking forward (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:I4EJ6K.154K@lugnet.com... [ ... snipped ... ] (...) California (...) converted to (...) list (...) Any luck chasing down the problem we were looking at at BrickFest? Mike (20 years ago, 22-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

Hi Mike, As it turns out, my laptop hard disk died since brickfest. Please send me all relevent files and some background on how to recreate. Life has been very busy. Thnks for your patience, Kevin (...) (20 years ago, 23-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) Mike, I recovered your emails about this problem and chasing it down. (...) Kevin (20 years ago, 4-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:I52sF2.LI3@lugnet.com... (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) Excellent. I had been meaning to get the data back to you but have yet to do so. Let me know if I can provide anything else. (...) (20 years ago, 7-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

(...) I remembered that the issue we ran across at BrickFest was a simple one, but I couldn't remember the specifics. The fix is a two character fix. I forgot to put a semicolon after AMB and DIFF in the POV-File. Right now I'm running through your (...) (20 years ago, 13-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub mask generation

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague wrote: [ ... snipped ... ] (...) Awesome. When you have a build you think is stable enough please let me know and I will put it to the test! Thanks for continuing to work on this for me. Mike (20 years ago, 13-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)