 CAD / Development / 8279
Re: Tangent between two circles in 3D space?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:22:04 GMT

"Kevin Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
In lugnet.cad.dev, Anders Isaksson writes:

Line = Intersect(C1.Plane, C2.Plane)
if (Dist(C1.Center, Line) = C1.Radius) and (Dist(C2.Center, Line) =
C2.Radius) ...

This looks great!  This is what I was trying say the other day during my
ah,hah! moment, but not so tersely.  Now I just need to know how to • calculate
the intersection of the line and each circle...

If the condition above (Dist(...) etc.) holds, then it's just a matter of
projecting the circle centers onto the line, ie. solve for a new line
through the point, perpendicular to the original line.

I suppose I could find code for this at work (http://www.cej.se), but here
at home I try to think about other things :-)

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm