 CAD / Development / 8260
Re: Tangent between two circles in 3D space?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:51:43 GMT

Don,

  I'm assuming four pulleys in this case.  Two are parallel to each other
where the rubber band bends to be non-planar, and two others that pull the
band around the two parallel pulleys.

Kevin

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin Clague writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Steven Combs writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin Clague writes:
Anyone know how to find out the tangent between two cicles in 3D space?

Wouldn't they have to be on the same plane in order to find the tangency? Or
did you mean the tangency of two spheres?

With two circles in the same plane you can have four possible tangent lines.
LSynthcp uses this to calculate straight line segments of rubber bands
around pulleys.

In 3D space you can have circles that are tangent along one line.  Imagine a
vertical bar that has a circle attached tangentially, but can turn around
the bar, and slide up and down the bar.  Attach another circle to the bar
with the same capabilities.  You can hold one circle fixed, and place the
other circle an infinite number of places and orientations and still be
tangent to the line.

So, given two pulleys in a rubber band synthesis specification, I need to be
able to tell if there is a common tangent between the two of them in 3D
space, and if so, what the parameters for the line are.  This will allow me
to synthesize non-planar rubber bands.

It sounds like you want the intersection point of the 2nd circle with
the plane of the first circle.  I guess that should be exactly one point
unless they're in the same plane.  However, I don't see how the rubber
band gets back to the first circle without violating your rules.  Is
there another pulley/circle you're not telling us about?

Don