 CAD / Development / 8265
Re: Tangent between two circles in 3D space?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 00:34:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Ross Crawford writes:

1. Find the plane of pulley A
2. Find the plane of pulley B
3. If they dont intersect, no tangent so stop here
4. Find the angle between them, call it T
5. Find the normal to plane A that passes through centre of pulley B, call it L
6. Call readius of pulley B R
7. If sin T = R / L then pulley b is tangent to plane of A so possible
tangent, otherwise abort
8. Do the same, reversing pulley A & B; if both are tangents to the plane of
the other, then the line of intersection of their planes is the required
tangent. I think.

I haven't included the math, as I can't remember it, but I'm pretty sure you
can do all these calculations....

Anyone wanna tear this apart?

Well, I'll start 8?)

Step 6 - thats radius