 CAD / Development / 8257
Re: Tangent between two circles in 3D space?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:31:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steven Combs writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin Clague writes:
Anyone know how to find out the tangent between two cicles in 3D space?

Wouldn't they have to be on the same plane in order to find the tangency? Or
did you mean the tangency of two spheres?

I'm sure you're probably looking for a solution with x,y,z coords, but
just in case, the 2D solution is on page 7 of Graphics Gems, and also
here:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Game_Development/AI_Physics/Q_11452678.html

I think you should be able to transform your circles into the x,y
plane with one center at the origin, then solve it the Graphics Gems
way, and finally transform the solution line segments back into 3D
space.