 CAD / Development / 7933
Re: Formalizing a method for handling synthesizable parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 16:12:39 GMT

Orion,
  I had not thought about this.  This is consistant with Steve Bliss'
concern about putting out the synthesized parts in a seperate file so that
they can be cosidered one part by other LDRAW compatible programs.

  I can see two issues here.  The first is simply "what do I name this
external file?"  I just have to figure out the specification for this issue.

  The other issue is deeper.  For electric cables, lsynth actually knows
nothing about the ends of the cables (rotation sensor, light sensor, 2x2
connectors.)

  It only knows where the synthesized parts are.  It seems counter intuitive
that the cable ends would be in one file and the cable middle is in a
different file.  Maybe I'll just ignore this incongruity for now.

Kevin

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin Clague writes:
Philo,

Boy, were you right, the triangle synthesis took a 3K file and made a 2M
file.  Unpalatable.

I switched lsynth over to use LDRAW parts for synthesis.  Now that 3K file
ends up to be 500K, still much larger, but certainly better than before.

If you are going to go the subpart route, have you considered making an
option to subpart the flexible object in a separate file so that seam width
shrink is avoided when using L3P (or others) ?

-Orion