 CAD / Development / 7837
Re: Formalizing a method for handling synthesizable parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 13:32:22 GMT

Larry,

  Yes, I'm glad you mentioned string.  It is similar to both bands and
tubes.

  I'm not much of a mathematical theoretician, so I'll probably need some
help designing the algorithms, but I can code like a madman.

Kevin

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague writes:

I'd like a mechanism that formalizes the definition of flexible parts, • and
allows for automatic synthesis.  I envision the process working like • this.
We put a specification about the part we want synthesized into our design
using MLCAD (or LEdit or whatever).  The specifications are very specific
about the LEGO part being used (e.g. light grey corrigated tube that • starts
here with this orientation and ends here with this orientation).  When a
"synthesis capable" program comes along it can replace the synthesis
specification with the LDRAW parts needed.  In the case of tubing, an
algorithm (probably bezier curve fitting or whatever) will be used to
specify all the segments' placement and orientation between the end • pieces.

I think this would be very nifty!

There are a number of tube like LEGO parts:  electrical cables, pneumatic
tubing, fiber optic cables, narrow and corrigated tubes for example.  I
think that all of these can be handled with the same synthesis algorithm,
but the parameters provided depend on the LEGO part being synthesized.
Examples of parameters include flexibility and the length of the LEGO • part.
Electrical cables are much more flexible than the corrigated tubing. • There
are at least five different length electrical cables.  Pneumatic tubing • can
be cut to any length.

One other type of flexible part is string. Taut string should conform to • the
shape of whatever it is wound on, leave tangentially, and have a linear • path
to the other end. Slack string should conform to whatever it is wound on,
leave tangentially, and have a catenary curve to the other end. (with the
catenary curve being in a plane that is vertical and which goes through • the
endpoints)

I did a string piece part which was a quick hack but which I used for the
instructions of MTW-1004... I did all my placement by hand.