 CAD / Development / 7365
Re: L3P and/or L3PAO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 01:15:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing writes:
Ahui Herrera wrote...
Basically in the end I would have 2 set of files:

Set 1: for distribution
model.mpd (which is made of)
complete.ldr
submodel1.ldr
submodel2.ldr

Note that ALL of these files would have their steps IN THEM!  So that a user
can set thru the model in mlcad if s/he does not want my builing instrcutions.

Set 2: Working files (copies of original files in set 1)
complete.ldr
submodel1.ldr  (ALL STEPS REMOVED by hand or some utility)
submodel2.ldr (ALL STEPS REMOVED by hand or some utility)
submodel1s.ldr (HAS STEPS)
submodel2s.ldr

It is these files that I would convert to pov and then render
I would render complete whihc would get its submodel info from submodel1 & 2
and since they have NO steps there will NOT be a problem in the rendering.

Then I would render submodel1s which is the same as submodel1 but it has the
steps.

You understand what I am saying?

I think we have been talking past each other, especially about what a submodel is,
and when it is a submodel.
You seem to think of a submodel as being a certain file, and always call it submodel
no matter it is rendered stand-alone or as part of another model.
If I render a submodel, I now think of it as a new main model for that rendering.
A model is the main file specified, a submodel is a file referenced by the model.

My taking is that you only need Set 1,
if I change L3P to always only use stepclock on the main model.

Yes I only REALLY need set 1, Set 2 is just to make the builing
instructions, move stuff around and ensure that all is okay but it never
gets distributed.

Then you can render complete.ldr which will show only the steps in complete.
And you can render submodel1.ldr which will now have stepclocks because
it has become the main model of the rendering.
Same goes for Submodel2.ldr

(Rendering model.mpd will give the same result as rendering complete.ldr)

Yes.. in some case all 'submodels - files referenced by compelete.ldr show
up) and in some case they do not.
/Lars\

Lar?  Is this your definition of a file USING submodels?  In this the
submodels are Pillars.ldr, MainFloor.ldr, etc..

If I use L3P to convert this file (complete.ldr) with the -sc switch, the
results are horrible.  Complete.ldr has 4 steps, but pillars.ldr has 10
steps, and MainFloor.ldr has 31 steps.

When rendering complete.ldr from 1 to 4 you only get the following:
Step 1: Step1 of all submodels
Step 2: step2 of all submodels
step 3: step3 of all submodels
ste4: step 4 of all submodels

end of rendering.  So you see complete.ldr is NOT really fully rendered but
since in it's code theire are steps both in the complete.ldr object AND in
the pillar.ldr object pov only renders as far as the steps go.

0 FILE Complete.ldr
0 Name: Complete.ldr
0 Author: Ahui Herrera
0 WRITE e-Mail: jedi_agh@yahoo.com
0 WRITE http://www.geocities.com/jedi_agh/
0 Unofficial Model
0 ROTATION CENTER 0 0 0 1 "Custom"
0 ROTATION CONFIG 0 0
1 14 -60 -176 -30 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 Pillars.ldr
0 STEP
1 7 50 -40 -50 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 MainFloor.ldr
0 STEP
1 14 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 PillarRoof.ldr
0 STEP
1 14 20 -256 -30 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 Roof.ldr
0 STEP
1 14 -240 -64 140 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 Tower.ldr
0