 CAD / Development / 7358
Re: L3P and/or L3PAO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:01:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Ahui Herrera writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing writes:
Ahui Herrera wrote...
Could there be away to have L3P/L3PAO have an additional flag/switch
say -scm (setpClock main model only) if which ONLY
the final model of the .ldr file gets clock command lines in it.

Or simply ALWAYS ONLY put stepclock in the main model ?
Since L3P doesn't walk the model/part tree (POV does)
it doesn't make much sense putting stepclocks in submodels.
/Lars

This works BUT ONLY if you are NOT doing building instructions of the
submodels as well?  I'm making builing instructions for the submodels as
well so this option is NOT an option for me.

But don't you make separate building instructions for the submodels ?

The way stepclock works today isn't well suited for models containing
submodels with steps.
If a model includes a submodel in step 3 it will include step 1-3 of
the submodel at that time.
If the model itself has no steps, the first rendering will include
step one of ALL submodels at one time. Doesn't that look funny ?
/Lars

I start off by making one ldraw model first.  Usually it has no steps and
parts are in NO particular order.  Once I got the model done, I go back and
begin to figure out what sections should be sub-models if any.  At this
point I begin to build each indivdual submodel putting steps where I think
the instructions will need them.  As I move thru this process I end up with
various submodels that at the end compose the complete.ldr or final.ldr
model.  This model is just a set of sub-models.  This is the best way to
show BIs as a set of smaller submodels.  The problem with this as already
stated is that the submodels don't get properly 'parted out' with the steps.
There is a simple way to make the submodels work properly.  After I complete
the sub-model file with the steps I can make a duplicate copy of them and
take all the steps out and then use THIS file (no steps) with the
complete.ldr file to create the pov file of the final model.  This works but
again you have to manually remove the STEPS.  Can MLCAD or some other
applciation take out ALL the steps from a .ldr file?  This would be a quick
fix to the problem.  I'm not sure how L3P creates the pov file nor do I know
how hard it would be to create a new switch for the sub-models but that
methos, I feel, would be the 'proper' way to go.  Then again, I'm probably
in the minority group here of people who making this type of building
instructions.

So can anyone take up the challenge of a) making a small utlitiy that
removes all the steps from a .ldr file or b) adding a new switch into l3p
that allows for submodels to use/NOT use the -sc switch?

Lars thanks for looking into this.  Perhaps the individual that is currenlty
creating the LPub application might have a solution as his application will
ultimatly make building instructions.  As of yet, LPub is still very beta
and I have not been able to run it. =(

-AHui