 CAD / Development / 6447
Re: Codes for New Colors (was: Sand Red Bricks)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 16:05:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Michael Lachmann writes:

Maybe I didn't understand something right, but the LDraw FAQ in section 20
mentiones that colors from 256 to 511 are dithered and not solid!

Yes, but there are some problems:

1. LDraw (and LEdit) can't be changed to render new colors.  So if we
arbitrarily select color codes in the 0 - 255 range, the old programs won't
work.

2. LDraw renders colors 17-31 the same as colors 1-15 (that is, 17 is
rendered as color 1, 18 as 2, etc).  LDraw literally does a (color AND x0F)
operation to remove all the extra bits from the color code.

3. We're running out of color codes in the standard opaque range (0-31).  If
we reuse the three duplicate colors, we've only got 6 codes left between 0
and 31.  There are already many more than 6 unmapped colors in the LEGO palette.

So how can we have colors there? Are we not supporting dithered colors anymore?

I'd recommend dithering color codes 256-511 by default, but keeping track of
which codes are actually new, solid colors.

And I still recommend that surface treatments like gold and silver be
dithered, for the slight texturing it offers.

Or what is the real color use now?

Sorry, what did you mean by that?

Steve