 CAD / Development / 6442
Re: Codes for New Colors (was: Sand Red Bricks)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 07:14:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Michael Lachmann" <michael.lachmann@maxmobil.at> writes:

Maybe I didn't understand something right, but the LDraw FAQ in
section 20 mentiones that colors from 256 to 511 are dithered and
not solid!

This is true.  When a new colour is released from LEGO, we normally
aim to find a dithered colour which looks fairly much like the new
colour.  Then we define that particular dithered colour as the new
one.  That way, we can still use the old programs like LEdit for the
new colours, and newer programs can implement them correctly, should
the author decide to do so.  The rest of the dithered colours are
displayed just as before.

Fredrik

Ok, that means I will extend the internal color table to 512 entries, and
allow the user to modify colors up to value 511.
Just looked up the code and remembered the implementation:

As current MLCad supports the following:
0-31    fixed (as in LDraw)
32-63   fixed transparent (as in LDraw)
64-255  user defineable (preinitialized)
256-511 will be user defineable with the next version but preinitialized
0x02000000-0x03ffffff for use with individual 8 bit resolution colors (MLCad
& L3Lab)
0x04000000-0x07ffffff for use with individual 4 bit resolution colors (MLcad
& L3Lab & LDLite)

So there is plenty of space for future things to implement!? Any ideas?

Michael