 CAD / Development / 5809
Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 12:07:32 GMT

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 19:19:35 GMT, "Andy Lynch" <andy@andyandjackie.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if there are any special 3d design tools that people are
using to create parts.  I checked the LDraw.org pages and mostly saw viewers.

Anyone?  Any opinions on the best tools for a potential new designer?

-Andy Lynch

Hi everybody
I was off yesterday, so I only see this intersting thread today.

I made my stl2dat conversion program for this purpose. The STL format is used for the stereolithography fast prototyping
machines. It choose this format because it can be produced by almost all CAD programs and its format is public. It also
has the great advantage that the part are described with triangles, like DAT format. So the difficult problem of
facetisation is handled by the CAD program itself.
To convert a STL file to a DAT file, my program changes the format, detects quad faces, adds edgelines and optional
edgelines and detects some circular primitives.
To make the detection of primitive work, the facetisation of cylindric portion of the part must fit exactly the
facetisation of circular primitives that is 16 edges for a complete circle.

You can find more information about stl2dat and download the program on my site :
http://marc.klein.free.fr/lego.html

I have also a page on ldraw.org, in the downloads page.

Marc Klein
A Mindstorms fan.