 CAD / Development / 5791
Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:59:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kyle D. Jackson wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Andy Lynch writes:
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if there are any special 3d design tools that people are
using to create parts.  I checked the LDraw.org pages and mostly saw viewers.

Anyone?  Any opinions on the best tools for a potential new designer?

I'd like to add to Andy's call for info.  I have to, he beat me
to it  :]

I'd especially like to hear from Franklin "Mr. Prolific" Cain.  Are you
using some tool unknown to the rest of us, Franklin?

My uninformed understanding is that parts are currently created
by manuipulating text files, much like one could manually make
POV-Ray files?  But there is no GUI-type (ie, CAD) program to
make the parts?

There's LDraw Add-On, which includes a text editor with some LDraw-related
editing tools.  And LDScript (with LDSShell), which is a simple BASIC-like
language for generating DAT files.  And Marc Klein has created an STL2DAT
utility, but I don't remember what the STL format is. :(  Some people use
MLCAD to create part files.

Here's my angle.  I use Pro/ENGINEER regularly.  I can model
any LEGO part you can throw at me, and make it "exact".

That could be a problem.  LDraw has a variety of standard dimensions, which
are not the 'exact', realworld dimensions.

Similarly, I currently use MLCAD to make LEGO models, then
use L3P to convert the .DATs to .POVs.  I'm wondering about
the possibilities of making a utility to convert Pro/E files
to .DATs, so that I could use Pro/E to create parts for the
libraries.  Note that I won't do this (make the utility) but
I am ready and able to make parts in Pro/E if they can be
gotten in .DAT format or whatever.

Is there any public documentation of the Pro/E format?  Is there a more
general format that Pro/E can output, that would make more sense to have a
tool to convert to DAT?

If anyone has already made a utitlity to get from IGES or STEP
to DAT, for example, then I can already start working on parts
in Pro/E.

Got any doc on those file formats?

One last lingering question:  why are round objects faceted,
not round?  Is this a limitation of the current .DAT format?
Can the facet count be increased and still be compatible (ie,
can we make "higher res" versions of the parts)?

It's a limitation of the DAT format.  DAT only supports lines, triangles,
and quads.  All curved surfaces are simulated.

Steve