 CAD / Development / 5788
  Special tools used to build/design parts?

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there are any special 3d design tools that people are using to create parts. I checked the LDraw.org pages and mostly saw viewers. Anyone? Any opinions on the best tools for a potential new designer? -Andy Lynch (24 years ago, 20-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

(...) I'd like to add to Andy's call for info. I have to, he beat me to it :] My uninformed understanding is that parts are currently created by manuipulating text files, much like one could manually make POV-Ray files? But there is no GUI-type (ie, (...) (24 years ago, 20-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

"Kyle D. Jackson" <flightdeck@sympatic...mblock.ca> wrote in message news:G5vw45.84H@lugnet.com... (...) are (...) viewers. (...) I used to use only LDAO's editor along with LDLite or LDView for viewing. I've done a few easy parts in MLCAD, and the (...) (24 years ago, 20-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

(...) I'd especially like to hear from Franklin "Mr. Prolific" Cain. Are you using some tool unknown to the rest of us, Franklin? (...) There's LDraw Add-On, which includes a text editor with some LDraw-related editing tools. And LDScript (with (...) (24 years ago, 20-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

(...) The latest version of L3P does support POV commands that can replace the .DAT commands to give nice smooth curved surfaces while ray-tracing. Look here for examples: (URL) (24 years ago, 20-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

(...) Time. Lots and lots of time. Time waiting for recruiters to call/write me back to let me know of the status of that "possible position" with whatever company. Time waiting for some HR person to call/write me back to let me know when (*IF*) I (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

(...) No big deal. Just make a few parts, OK? (...) Ouch. Never mind about the parts, you do what you need to do. steve (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

(...) Hey, this could work! I can spit .STLs outta Pro/E no-problemo. I do it all the time at work. For Steve, I believe the "STL" stands for "stereolithography". We generate these files at work and feed them into a stereolithography machine. It (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

(...) I remember hearing about that. But it's not a big deal, as what I mean is that I can model the shapes to be accurate, in terms of having the proper curves, blends, etc on some of the more complicated parts. I can make it all fit to whatever (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

(...) and give it a spin. Hopefully this means the end of facetted space helmets! :] Thanx! KDJ ___...___ LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

(...) Hi everybody I was off yesterday, so I only see this intersting thread today. I made my stl2dat conversion program for this purpose. The STL format is used for the stereolithography fast prototyping machines. It choose this format because it (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:59:51 GMT, Steve Bliss <steve.bliss@home.com> wrote: And Marc Klein has created an STL2DAT (...) The STL format is used for the stereolithography fast prototyping machines. It choose this format because it can be produced by (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

(...) Yes that's it. You must check the tesalation of circular portions of a part to make the detection of primitive work, the facetisation of cylindric portion of the part must fit exactly the facetisation of circular primitives that is 16 edges (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

Hello everybody (...) My stl2dat converter handles the edgelines and conditional edgelines. The conditional edgelines are created between two facets when the angle between these two facets is below a given value. This value can be set. If the angle (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

(...) Salut Marc, et merci pour ta reponse. I visited your website and read your tips about using SolidWorks. I undestand what you mean now for the primitive detection, making the objects in CAD using polygons instead of circles. That makes things a (...) (24 years ago, 23-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

(...) Yes, for shure. The hand work is generally adding keywords, sometime I do only portion of the part and I add other primitives (like the spheric primitive in Technic Liftarm 1 x 7 with 2 ball joints - 32173.dat) Sometimes, I only modelise a (...) (24 years ago, 24-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Special tools used to build/design parts?

(...) That address changed awhile ago. It's now partsref@home.com. Steve (24 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)