 CAD / Development / 5055
Re: Parts-authoring FAQ? (Was: Hacked my first part -- 4349 Town Loudhailer)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:20:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Steve Bliss wrote:
Instead of:
[...header example...]
How about:
[...another header example...]

...and...

-  Is this good enough?  (I think so, but I'm not 100% sure.)
Good question.  It's not so much a matter of "good enough", but "is this
the right approach"?  I don't have an answer to that one.  Whatever the
answer is, I'd like to use the same answer with other ribbed pieces.

...and...

-  Who originally authored this piece?  (I think James Jessiman did, but • I'm
not 100% sure.)
Yep.  If there's a file in the parts directory without a name, James
authored it.

Sounds like good fodder for a parts-authoring FAQ.  Is there one?  Other
than Q24 in the LDraw FAQ (1), of course...  Perhaps Q24 (and Q31 and the
primitives reference (2)) should be broken out and re-organized as a
Parts-Authoring FAQ.  I can see 2 reasons for this:

a.  Encapsulation -- "typical" LDraw users won't be authoring parts, and
"typical" parts authors are probably LDraw experts anyway.

b.  Noise reduction -- make the documents less confusing; actually part of
reason #1.

If this has already been implemented (or even suggested and shot down),
please give me a pointer to the appropriate discussion.  But as far as my
searches have taken me, I cannot yet ascertain the existence of such a
document.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  http://www.ldraw.org/memorial/archive/FAQ/#question-24

2.  http://www.ldraw.org/memorial/archive/FAQ/Primitives_Reference

A FAQ/Tutorial has been suggested before (several times), and I offered to
co-ordinate, but haven't gotten around to it yet - mainly because I am unsure
what topics need to be addressed. I'll take another look at it, but if anyone
has ideas of topics that ought to be included, please post them here. In fact I
am sure I sent in a more up-to-date version of the primitives reference.

Chris