 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 1447
Re: Hacked my first part -- 4349 Town Loudhailer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:30:10 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
Actually, it didn't look so good in L3Lab -- because L3Lab balked at using
color 24.

I only added lines #6 - 36 -- all the color 24's were there before.

Whoops, I see what happened now.  When I ran it through LDAO's inliner (see
below), it changed all the type-5 lines to type 4.  I just now changed the
pseudo-4's back into real 5's, which cut down on L3Lab's alarms.  :-,

I'd upload the fixes now, but I'm still unsure how to handle the
intersection of the handle and the ribbed body.  Is it okay if I just shove
the upper part of the handle into the body (but not poking through to the
interior), or should I make the top of the cylinder all jagged to exactly
match the shape of the ribs?

A totally different approach would be to construct a subfile, which would
contain one segment of ribbing.  Then use the subfile to build the ribbed
section of the part.  Include some 4-4edge.dat files for where the ribs
intersect each other.

This is how I did it, actually, but I ran the part through LDAO's inliner
before I posted the part -- which changed all line-5's to line-4's...  I
don't actually remember which version -- it was either v1.4.5 (which I keep
for LDraw->BMP rendering) or v2.1.0 (which I keep for the cool editor, but
the LDraw->BMP rendering is broken), both of which is woefully behind v2.1.4
(which I was too lazy to download until today :-).

If you don't want to mess with the Lathe, but can get the diameters for me,
I can whip up the subfile.

Your spreadsheet rotate.xls was actually really useful here; it showed me
which ring to use (RING7.DAT).  I figured if I could just reduce it to the
rings and cylinders, it would be much a quicker part to modify.

Cheers,
- jsproat

I'm betting I'm just abnormal enough to survive!
  - The Tick