 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 1534
Re: Hacked my first part -- 4349 Town Loudhailer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:53:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Sproaticus wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
I modified the part #4349 (Town Loudhailer) to have a more "textured" body.
Previously, the body was just a 4-4cyli with many 4-4edge's to represent the
"ribbing" in the body.  Unfortunately, this doesn't come across very well
when run through L3P -- the body comes out smooth.  I replaced the
above-mentioned primitives with a series of 4-4cyli's and ring7's.  It
looks passable in L3Lab, and POV-Ray.

Also:

-  Fixed my goofy 4/5 lines.

-  Shoved the handle into the body, adjusting the handle's length to
compensate, so that there are no gaps between the handle and the ribbing.

Erk.  It's going to be hard to fix the interior problem later, with that
handle sticking most of the way through.  Indications[1] are that the
interior is hollow, to within the 4LDU of the stud-end.

-  Added header stuff.

Instead of:

0 Town Loudhailer

0 Name: 4349.dat
0 Author: Unknown (James Jessiman?), Jeremy H. Sproat
0 Unofficial hack of official LCad Part

0 CATEGORY Town
0 KEYWORDS town, loudhailer, megaphone, minifig accessory
0 2000-08-14     JeremyS          Added ribbing to body area
0 (date unknown) (author unknown) Created

How about:

0 Town Loudhailer
0 Name: 4349.dat
0 Author: James Jessiman
0 Author: Jeremy H. Sproat, fixes and body improvement
0 Unofficial hack of official LCad Part

0 CATEGORY Town
0 KEYWORDS town, loudhailer, megaphone, minifig accessory
0 2000-08-14     JeremyS          Added ribbing to body area

2 questions remain:

-  Is this good enough?  (I think so, but I'm not 100% sure.)

Good question.  It's not so much a matter of "good enough", but "is this
the right approach"?  I don't have an answer to that one.  Whatever the
answer is, I'd like to use the same answer with other ribbed pieces.

-  Who originally authored this piece?  (I think James Jessiman did, but I'm
not 100% sure.)

Yep.  If there's a file in the parts directory without a name, James
authored it.

Steve
1) I stuck a light-sabre blade into a town loudhailer to check the depth.