 CAD / Development / 1486
Re: [ldraw.org] Status/Help Needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:45:52 GMT

Todd,

For the sets group, it would help if we had a standardized way of naming TLG
sets.  Just using the set number gets us in trouble when multiple sets have the
same number.  I assume Pause has some sort of coding system to deal with this.
Would there be a way to make this coding system available to people wishing to
post .dat's of sets?  Maybe a searchable list of set names/numbers with a
unique code for each.

-John Van

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.cad.dev, tim@zacktron.com (Tim Courtney) writes:
2. TLG Model Repository - Currently No Group Leader

The model repository will be hosted in the lugnet.cad.dat.* heirarchy,

[More likely the .cad.ld.* hierarchy, as .cad.dat is obsolescent.]

and needs to be organized and regulated by two to three volunteers.
I reccommend Todd for leader on this area since he has the best knowledge
of the LUGNET server and can definitely be responsible for this area.

I can provide guidance, support, etc. for this area initially, but
ultimately not a high personal level of focus on managing the collection.
That is, I'll provide the infrastructure (soon) for submitting the models
and some organizational tools (later) for linking them together, while other
volunteers will still be needed to do the reviewing/selecting/rejecting of
individual models.  As far as organizing goes, I'll write a filter for the
webpage interface which gives a big list of all the models, and then insert
some links to these from the sets-DB.

[...]

A model repository can be created to host unofficial MOC creations if
authors desire them to be made available there. I'll leave this one up
for discussion.

The only fundamental difference between official sets and unofficial
creations (a.k.a. MOCs) is the integrational structure of the data (slightly
different structure for each class of data).  Since a "member idea book" has
always been part of the plan* for LUGNET, I'll be careful to make sure that
the organizational tools can work for any type of model (or part, sub-
assembly, idea book entry, etc.).

--Todd

* See http://www.lugnet.com/admin/plan/5.html
and http://www.lugnet.com/admin/plan/3a.html