 CAD / Development / 1490
1489  |  1491
Subject:
Filenames for models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 23:38:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, tim@zacktron.com (Tim Courtney) writes:
I suggested naming it sorted by theme in directories, then the file name
having the subtheme, number, and year it was released.  For example, the
M:Tron Particle Ionizer would read:

mt-6923-90.dat since it was released in 1990 and is a part of the M:Tron
theme.

Oh, I see.  You're wondering about filenames for the individual .DAT files,
if there were a way for someone surfing by to download a whole bunch of them
in a ZIP file or a tarball or something like that for offline viewing.

OK, gotcha.  If you provide something like that on www.ldraw.org, it doesn't
matter to me what file naming system you use; the .DAT content is stored in
the lugnet.com server as news articles, which have meaningless filenames in
the server's filesystem.  The value of the content (i.e., it's context)
comes from external DB linkages, general hyperlinks, and custom filtering of
the published collection.

If there is a standardized comment line for embedding a filename, you could
easily extract that filename and the .DAT content from a filtered news-feed,
or I could make periodic tarballs of the individual newsgroups available for
custom processing needs -- making simpler the extraction of various sub-
collections of files.

Whatever format is used for the filenames, though, I would caution against
2-digit years and 2-character theme abbreviations.  Does 'mt' stand for
M:Tron or Model Team?  Does 'tn' stand for Town or Technic (or Trains)?
Does 'sp' mean Space Police or Space Port?

--Todd