 CAD / Development / 1489
Re: [ldraw.org] Status/Help Needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 22:42:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com (John VanZwieten) writes:
Todd,
For the sets group, it would help if we had a standardized way of
naming TLG sets.  Just using the set number gets us in trouble when
multiple sets have the same number.  I assume Pause has some sort
of coding system to deal with this.

Yup, it does!  It is currently (but won't always be) using a suffix system
that goes like this:

   xxxx-y

where xxxx is the set number (not necessarily four numeric digits) and where
y is a [re]issue number for the number of set (always numeric, but not
necessarily limited to one digit).

For simple example, see:

   http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6848

where there are 6848-1 and 6848-2, and for a more complex example, which
Joshua recently put in (thank you, Joshua!), see:

   http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=700

where there are 700-1 through 700-11, sorted by date and name.

Would there be a way to make this coding system available to people
wishing to post .dat's of sets?  Maybe a searchable list of set names/
numbers with a unique code for each.

This coding system could be used -- and it's pretty easy to get the code for
a set by looking it up via the search box at the top of the page

   http://www.lugnet.com/pause/

but since
- the coding system currently in use is obsolescent (so I hesitate to
  propagate it further), and
- there aren't likely to be more than 1 or 2 sets posted per day, and
- it's possible initially to link the models into the DB by hand (as
  opposed to a script that links them automatically), and
- human interaction will always be necessary to prune submissions which have
  been superceded by updated submissions,
I think it would do just fine to put the set number and name in the subject
line.

Inside the comment header for the model, it would be good also to include
the set number and name and probably the year of release, whenever known, to
reduce the ambiguities as much as possible.

Another linkage possibility would be launching into the .DAT posting page
right from the sets-DB page for a given set.  This way, the comment header
and subject line could be generated automatically.  But that's overkill for
right now...We can get 50% of the functionality/usefulness up & about
quickly with very little overhead.  The other 50% (the really amazingly neat
stuff) can come later or be satisfied in the interim by organized link
collections elsewhere.

--Todd