 CAD / Development / 10355
Re: L3P-Bug using LGEO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:40:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss wrote:

[snip-snap]

I disagree because the dat and ldr extensions do not indicate the type of
content in the file (except that it's an LDraw file).

hmm ... I always understod .ldr as scene file and .dat just for parts. at least
this was what I thought reding from tim's post back in 2001:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=6850
"The extension change is just that.  Nothing changes in the actual file
format.  It allows an LDraw model file to be distinctive from other files"

I think Tim meant LDraw files distinctive from other programs' .DAT files.
Also from http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=6850
"DAT is problematic because its an ambiguous file format, many different
programs use it.  To identify more with LDraw, we chose LDR."

Anyway, as Travis mentioned, I already have a part identification routine
for the seams feature, and I'll add a test for this part-flag in the
LGEO substitution routine.
Until next release I suggest you follow Tore's advice (I do)
and use m926.dat (or m926.ldr) for the model (the set).

FYI I have used every free evening the last month for extensive testing,
I have even debugged and optimized the POV source code.
So, I'm pretty much done with the new L3P,
however I still need answers from the LSC and the POV team.
/Lars