 CAD / Development / 10339
Re: L3P-Bug using LGEO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:23:35 GMT

--SNIP-- In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss wrote:
   I agree and disagree with this.

I agree that it would be good (for now) if L3P only substituted LGEO parts for files with a .dat extension. Or, even better, if (a) the file being substituted has the UNOFFICIAL/LDRAWORG meta-statement and states it is a part or (b) is located in the ldrawparts directory.

I disagree because the dat and ldr extensions do not indicate the type of content in the file (except that it’s an LDraw file). I imagine if we ever break backwards compatibility in the part library, we’ll switch all the files to .LDR extensions.

Steve

Isn’t there an official order of preference for where a file comes from (eg. check MPD firsrt, directory second and parts directory third)? If so then the most sensible way of processing would be to go through that, which would ensure no problems with meta commands or extensions. If not, then there probably should be.

Just my thoughts,

Tim