 CAD / Development / 10021
Re: Mathematical assistance please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:34:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Ross Crawford wrote: • (snip)
Why not just work out the longest side of the cylinder you need, and extend the
hose segments by that much on each end? That would reduce the file size even
more.

Hi Roscoe,

  Thanks for the help.  If you extend the cylinders so that the outside edges
touch, you will be able to see the overlap.... at small angles, this works
because the overlap is small, but at larger angles, the overlap is noticable.

  I guess that going with the assumption of small angle overlap, this would
work.  The advantage to this strategy is that L3P replaces the faceted cylinder
with an actual tube.  Unfortunatly, L3P does not convert the 4-4cyls.dat (which
does exist) to a chopped cylinder.

I'll add 4-4cyls.dat, so that shouldn't hold you back.
Also, in the coming version you can add primitives yourself.

BTW, if you do decide to go with your solution, and come up with a result, you
might consider using the N-Ncyls primitives instead of cylinders, to avoid
overlapping segments. Unfortunately that will increase the file size again as
there is no 4-4cyls primitive :(

I was hoping to use 4-4cyls combined with with cylinders and have *no* overlap.

Another way to achieve no overlap is the method I used in 30093.dat
"Plant See Grass": I simply placed spheres at the calculated points
and connected them using cylinders (spanning from point to point).

To see it very clearly open 30093.dat in L3Lab, zoom to 1000%
and click at three buttons in the toolbar:
"Random Colors"
"Transparent Colors"
"Dither or blend transparent colors"
/Lars