 CAD / Development / 10012
Re: Mathematical assistance please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:58:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
Hi,
  I'm a much better arithmetician than mathemetician and have hit a wall with
LSynth.

  In an attempt to reduce file size, I've written an algorithm that merges hose
segments together (based on an angle error limit).  This dramatically reduces
file size, but leaves us with a problem.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/temp/synth1_s.bmp

  The curvature of the hose looks good enough, but the gaps between the segments
is quite visible.

  I know what to do, but not quite how......

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/temp/example.bmp

  I can fill the gaps between the two segments with two 4-4cyli.dat (the
yellowish green and light blue segments between the two cylindrical dark green
and dark blue.)

Why not just work out the longest side of the cylinder you need, and extend the
hose segments by that much on each end? That would reduce the file size even
more.

BTW, if you do decide to go with your solution, and come up with a result, you
might consider using the N-Ncyls primitives instead of cylinders, to avoid
overlapping segments. Unfortunately that will increase the file size again as
there is no 4-4cyls primitive :(

ROSCO