 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 864
  Parts Cataloging Program

I've just hacked up a program that generates an html parts-list (with pictures) that bears an uncanny resemblance to the one found at Lutz Uhlmann's page ((URL) can also be told to generate a list with used-defined classifications to produce output (...) (24 years ago, 23-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  (canceled)

  Re: Parts Cataloging Program

[moved to lugnet.cad.dev] (...) use, I think. When I tried to run lcat, the continual re-launching of LDLite hosed my system. I'm running Win98.2, with a 1600x1200 display. I got through 977 parts beore total lockup, but my free system/user (...) (24 years ago, 23-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts Cataloging Program

(...) I got around this problem by converting all the images from ldraw\vec to gifs in ldraw\lcat\images. Steve (24 years ago, 23-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts Cataloging Program

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes: <SNIP> (...) I've been meaning to ask about image file formats for a while now. What are the preferred file formats for these pics? Right now I have ldglite dumping png files since they're true color, fairly (...) (24 years ago, 23-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts Cataloging Program

(...) Which pics? The ones in the ldraw\vec directory? Or part-images in general? Png is a good format, but still not very widespread. LDAO reads bmp 10x faster than anything else, and doesn't recognize png. I usually do gif for web stuff, and (...) (24 years ago, 24-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts Cataloging Program

(...) JPG is NOT lossy, i.e. it's NOT required to be lossy, it can be defined to be 100% accurate ! (...) Actually I think that the best format is the GIF format, due to the type of compressing it uses and our specific renderer used for the (...) (24 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts Cataloging Program

(...) Is there some other way to compress JPG files, besides lowering the quality? Whenever I save a JPG file with 100% accuracy, the saved file is huge (ie, about the same size as a similar BMP file). (...) I've never heard of any kind of (...) (24 years ago, 28-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts Cataloging Program

(...) This problem is why I chose PNG. It compresses flat shaded images quite well and still retains the true color pixels. My comprehensive testing of one sample image (the one on the LdGLite web page) put the PNG file at about half the size of the (...) (24 years ago, 28-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts Cataloging Program

(...) Well, it's not *that* big'o'deal: GIF is restricted to 256 colors. If you convert down to 256 colors, will PNG give compression on par with GIF? If it doesn't, you can always look into BMP/RLE. FYI, here are some links into the MS (...) (24 years ago, 28-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts Cataloging Program

(...) From what I've seen PNG gives BETTER compression than GIF for flat shaded ldlite type images, and as far as I can tell it only does 32bpp true color. I put a sample PNG on the ldglite web page if you want to try converting to various formats (...) (24 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts Cataloging Program

(...) A long time ago I submited a patch to make ldlite save 256 color bitmaps, was it never applied ? (...) (URL) but most Linux distributions have it too. Leonardo (24 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts Cataloging Program

Don: (...) In some, but admittedly very few, cases GIF gives a better compression than PNG. (...) PNG does anything from 1 to (at least) 64 bit/pixel, including up to (at least) 16 bit/pixel graduated transparency. Play well, Jacob ---...--- -- (...) (24 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts Cataloging Program

Rui: (...) You are probably right, but JPEG is defined _for_ lossy compression. It is definitely not the correct choice if you want loss-less compression. (...) Maybe, but GIF is covered by a patent (not a problem in Europe yet), and PNG generally (...) (24 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts Cataloging Program

(...) I didn't see it, but I didn't look really hard at the windows specific code since I'm bypassing it for something more portable. If you still have the code I could try to paste it in with the other two formats. Don (24 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts Cataloging Program

(...) I don't know the exact files that I changed, I remember that I unziped LDLite 1.6 and added a #ifdef BMP_HIGHCOLOR, I'm sending what I have in another message. The code is not Windows specific, it was taken from the LeoCAD image routines and (...) (24 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)