 CAD / Development / 4211
Re: Parts Cataloging Program
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 19:15:38 GMT

What are the preferred file formats for these pics?  Right now I have
ldglite dumping png files since they're true color, fairly well compressed,
and not lossy like jpg.  I could make bmp an option since I had that
working before I switched to png.  I could add others if people really
want them.

JPG is NOT lossy, i.e. it's NOT required to be lossy, it can be defined
to be 100% accurate !

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:

Png is a good format, but still not very widespread.  LDAO reads bmp 10x
faster than anything else, and doesn't recognize png.

I usually do gif for web stuff, and bmp-rle for local stuff.

Steve

Actually I think that the best format is the GIF format, due to the type
of compressing it uses and our specific renderer used for the cataloging
task.

- BMP in it's pure form, it's just like a memory dump, but with RLE
compression could be good, but I don't actually know how the compression
algo to provide an opinion. Also I think that BMP-RLE PROGRAMS have to PAY
ROYALTIES or a LICENCE to be able to be distributed, but I' NOT sure

- GIF is good for draw type images, lots of equal pixels, with pixel
sequences also compressed. This format could also have to have a LICENCE,
since it's registered by someone (don't remember who), but due to the
internet, everybody uses it, and no one is beeing persued ! ;)
It has the limitation of 256 colors, which is NOT really a limitation for
a parts listing.

- JPG is NOT apropriate for our part images, it's good for real images or
images which contain shades, due to it's compressing algo.

- PNG is good for the same types of images that JPG is good, as some extra
functionality, but overall the files are always bigger than JPG files
saved without lossy compression. This format is trully open, everybody can
save or read these files without problem.

See ya

Rui Martins