 CAD / Development / 4232
Re: Parts Cataloging Program
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:09:38 GMT

Rui:

JPG is NOT lossy, i.e. it's NOT required to be lossy, it can be defined
to be 100% accurate !

You are probably right, but JPEG is defined _for_ lossy
compression. It is definitely not the correct choice if you
want loss-less compression.

Actually I think that the best format is the GIF format, due to the type
of compressing it uses and our specific renderer used for the cataloging
task.

Maybe, but GIF is covered by a patent (not a problem in
Europe yet), and PNG generally compresses much better than
GIF.

- BMP in it's pure form, it's just like a memory dump, but with RLE
compression could be good, but I don't actually know how the compression
algo to provide an opinion. Also I think that BMP-RLE PROGRAMS have to PAY
ROYALTIES or a LICENCE to be able to be distributed, but I' NOT sure

RLE can't possibly have been patented.

- JPG is NOT apropriate for our part images, it's good for real images or
images which contain shades, due to it's compressing algo.

Yes (but it is called JPEG).

- PNG is good for the same types of images that JPG is good,

NO!!!

We developed PNG as an alternative to and improvement of the
GIF format.

- Loss-less compression
- Up to 64 bit/pixel (or is it more?)
- No patents
- Generally better compression than GIF (where the formats
   can be compared)

Play well,

Jacob

--  E-mail:               sparre@cats.nbi.dk              --