 CAD / Development / 4196
Re: Parts Cataloging Program
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 16:13:07 GMT

[moved to lugnet.cad.dev]

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Caton Little wrote:

I've just hacked up a program that generates an html parts-list (with
pictures) that bears an uncanny resemblance to the one found at Lutz
Uhlmann's page (http://titan.informatik.uni-bonn.de/~uhlmann/partlst2.html)
and can also be told to generate a list with used-defined classifications to
produce output similar to the lugnet.com partsref.

The executable, source-code and docs are at

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cat/lcat.zip

Sounds interesting.  The user-defined classification will be neat to
use, I think.

When I tried to run lcat, the continual re-launching of LDLite hosed my
system.  I'm running Win98.2, with a 1600x1200 display.  I got through
977 parts beore total lockup, but my free system/user resources kept
dropping to zero.  This could be due to a resource-leak in lcat, but it
seems just as likely (maybe more likely) that this is just an example of
how to stress-out Windows to the point of failure.

I did have a fairly heavy load of programs going when I ran lcat.  I'll
set it up again over lunch, and let you know how it goes with less
local-system traffic.

A couple of suggestions, depending on how much time you want to put into
this:

You might consider reading ldraw.ini for file-locations, instead of
setting up a stand-alone file.  I think most Windows L-CAD programs at
least read and store the ldraw path in it.  LDAO maintains the following
settings at the top of the file:

[LDraw]
BaseDirectory=c:\Apps\ldraw\
Convert=C:\APPS\ImageMagick
LDLite=C:\APPS\LDraw\LDLITE

Also, LDAO creates part-images, and keeps them in the ldraw\vec
directory.  LDAO produces bmp format files, but the VEC will look for,
and use, image files in gif or jpg.  So you might want to mine the vec
for images (when possible), and maybe even save your images to the same
location.

Steve